How to Cook a Steak to Perfection
Cooking steak to perfection requires a combination of temperature, timing and technique. Here, you’ll learn the basics of preparing a delicious steak to your desired level of doneness.
- 1 steak (preferably 1 inch thick)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Herbs and spices of your choice (optional)
- Prepare: Pat the steak dry with paper towel and season with kosher salt and pepper. If desired, brush the steak with olive oil, and add desired herbs and spices.
- Cook: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the steak to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. (For a medium-rare steak, cooking time may vary depending on thickness of the steak.) Turn the steak over and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Rest: Remove the steak from the heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. During this time, the steak will continue to cook and the juices will redistribute throughout the meat.
- Serve: After the steak has rested, it is ready to serve! Cut into the steak to check if it is cooked to your desired level of doneness.
Making a delicious steak doesn’t have to be difficult—all you need is the right combination of temperature, timing and technique! With just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to cook steak to perfection every time.