How to Make Friends
Making friends can be hard, but it is an important part of life. Here are some tips to follow on the path to forming strong connections:
It may seem obvious, but being kind to others is key in forming lasting friendships. There’s no better way to win someone over than to be kind, especially when they don’t expect it. Doing small things like learning someone’s name or wishing them a good day can go a long way.
Ask Open-Ended Questions
When talking to someone, ask open-ended questions that require more than just a “yes” or “no”. This can help you learn more about that person and get the conversation going. Questions about what someone does for fun or what their passions in life are are great ways to get to know someone.
It’s important to stay true to who you are. Trying to imitate someone else will not get you the lasting friendships you’re looking for. Be honest about who you are and your interests. This helps those around you get to know the real you, which is important in forming any kind of relationship.
Talk Outside Your Comfort Zone
It’s important to push yourself and talk to people outside your comfort zone. Talk to people from different backgrounds or with different interests. This can help you get out of your own head and explore new perspectives. You’ll often find that there’s more that connects than separates people.
In order to truly make lasting friends, you need to be supportive. This is especially true if you’re supportive of a person’s passion or dreams. That kind of support can mean a lot and can help people open up to you.
Follow up with People
Relationships take time and effort to cultivate. Once you do meet someone, follow up afterwards and see how they’re doing. Ask how their project went or invite them to lunch. This can be a great way to solidify the budding relationship and make a true friend.
Don’t be Afraid to Take Risks
Reaching out and taking risks is key to forming friendships. Put yourself out there and ask that person on a coffee date or invite them to a group outing. Don’t be afraid of rejection, everyone struggles with the same thing.
Take Care of Yourself
Taking care of yourself should always come first. Make sure to find time for yourself and stay focused on what makes you happy. A strong sense of self-worth is essential for making friends and forming strong relationships.
Above all, remain positive. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t make a connection with everyone you meet. Some people just aren’t the right fit and that’s ok. Keep your head up and stay enthusiastic, because friendship is out there waiting for you.
- Be Kind – There’s no better way to win someone over than to be kind.
- Ask Open-Ended Questions – Doing this can help you learn more about someone.
- Be Yourself – Trying to imitate someone else will not get you lasting friendships.
- Talk Outside Your Comfort Zone – This can help you explore different perspectives.
- Be Supportive – This is especially true if you’re supportive of someone’s passions.
- Follow up with People – Doing this can help solidify the budding relationship.
- Don’t be Afraid to Take Risks – Putting yourself out there can be key to making new friends.
- Take Care of Yourself – A strong sense of self-worth is essential for making friends.
- Stay Positive – Don’t be discouraged if you don’t make a connection with everyone.
Making friends is not a science, but it is something that needs to be worked at. By following the above tips, you can put yourself in a great position to form positive relationships.