How to Make a Homemade Insect Repellent
Summertime can be fun but can also be irritating, due to all the insects around. If you’re looking for an efficient and cost-effective way of repelling insects, making your own insect repellent is the way to go! Here are some tips on how to make a homemade insect repellent.
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive, avocado, almond or jojoba oil
- 30-40 drops of your choice of essential oils such as citronella, lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, cedarwood and lemongrass
- A tablespoon of witch hazel
- Gather your ingredients. You will need 2-3 tablespoons of your choice of oil, 30-40 drops of essential oils, and a tablespoon of witch hazel.
- Mix everything together. Mix the ingredients in a glass jar or a bottle with a tight seal. Shake them together until they are blended.
- Store the repellent in a cool, dry place. Remember to keep the repellent away from children and pets.
- Apply the repellent. To apply the repellent, use your finger to dab some of the mixture onto your skin. Reapply the mixture every two hours or as needed.
Tips for Making and Using the Repellent
- Use high-quality essential oils for a stronger smell and more effective results.
- You can adjust the amount of essential oils you use depending on your preference.
- Always test the repellent on your skin before applying it. Some essential oils can cause skin irritation.
- Be sure to cover any exposed skin when going outdoors to prevent insect bites.
Making your own insect repellent is an easy and inexpensive way to keep pests away. With the right ingredients and a bit of mixing, you can have your own homemade, all-natural insect repellent!